CAMPUS EDITION — SPORT BABE OF THE DAY: Stonehill College Hockey Team
As told by Chris Tasiopolous, Goalie @CTAZtrophe31
In a small town outside of Boston, MA there lies a picturesque campus of Stonehill College. This private institution is highly regaurded for it’s academic programs in the state of Massachusetts. The Stonehill Skyhawks may not have been known to our babes dig balls community far and wide, however this interview will surely put them on the map. Coming off a winning season, the Stonehill men’s hockey team had a year full of many highlights. Even more impressive than their hockey abilities and capturing the regular season title is their witty and charming personalities- I will let the interview do the rest of the talking and show you what #Skyhawky is all about!
1. Many of our viewers may not have heard of Stonehill College, a small Division two private school outside of Boston. Can you describe the hockey culture on campus and what its like to be apart of the “skyhawky” community?
In the past, the hockey program wasn’t always one that Stonehill could be proud of but after the last few seasons through great recruiting and coaching we’ve been able to restore a winning tradition for our program. We are a brotherhood and that can be seen on the ice and on the weekends. The boys are inseparable.
2. Playing in the NE-10 conference , the Skyhawks had great success this year capturing the schools first ever regular season title . Descrcibe the type of season you had.
Yeah, we had our way with the conference during the regular season going a perfect 11-0 in conference play. We felt a little disrespected at the beginning of the season being voted to finish 3rd in the coach’s poll and it was a good feeling proving all those people wrong and bringing the first regular season title to the school.
3. What were the season ups and downs, did the team have any success or adversities along the way to a 16 and 10 overall season?
Our season can be looked at in two halves. The first half we showed glimpses of how good we could be but were inconsistent and were 6-9. Our captain Bryan Rooney @roondogga5 rallied the boys and the second half of the season can be marked by our 10 game “heater” where we won ten straight. The tenth of which was a big 5-4 win over our rival St. Anslems to secure the reg season title. We had a tough 2-1 loss in the conference semi-finals but now we’re just using that as fuel for a title run next year.
Enough of the boring questions
Hot Seat with The Stonehill Skyhawks Hockey team
4. Who has the best cele on the team? Kevin Aufiero @kevinaufiero9
5. Who is the snappiest game day dresser? Josh Hickey
6. Who is the team comedian? Brendan Greene @bogsy2point0
7. Who is the team DJ? Willy Baker @williebeaman7
8. After a big win, what’s the first song played in the locker room? No Worries by Lil’ Wayne feat. Detail
9. What actually is a Skyhawk ? I think it is a term for a pilot but our logo is a bird so I don’t think any of us on the team can say confidently what exactly a skyhawk is.
10. What is an ideal pregame team meal? Do you eat together or separately? The boys are allowed to grab food on their own before games. Some guys eat at the cafeteria but I’d say about 3/4 of the fellas hit up the Subway down the street for a pregame sub.
11. Describe a typical “roadie” . What’s the scene look like on the Stonehill bus?Upperclassmen in the back with a pair of seats for themselves and the younger guys doubled up in the front of the bus. If the trip is over 3 hours you can usually find a game of “Acey Ducey” going on near my spot on the back of the bus while the other guys watch movies like “Wedding Crashers” or “Old School”
12. Who has the most superstitious pregame rituals and what are they? Probably me. They start right before warmups where I sit in the stands on the opposite side of the rink by myself and tape my stick. When I get my bottom half of gear on I go outside the locker room, throw my headphones in, and stand against the glass staring at my crease picturing myself making saves during the game. These are just a couple, I don’t have enough time to list all of them.
13. Many teams give out a player of the game puck or some other acknowledgement- like the NY Rangers give out the “broadway hat”. Is there some way the Skyhawks acknowledge a teammates game efforts?
Yeah, we have a WWE Heavyweight Championship belt that gets handed to whoever the previous winner thought had the best game.
14. What are the post game rituals? (if appropriate) We throw on our victory song and usually hustle out of the rink to celebrate with the rest of campus but if the win is a big one we stop everything and a sophomore, Richie Harris, screams “I’m gonna wreck it!!!” from the movie Wreck-it Ralph and then the boys go nuts.
15. Were there any pre season bonding trips or rituals the team did? We went to this indoor trampoline park and played dodgeball for about 2 hours straight. We did Massachusetts guys vs. Non-mass guys
16. Who has the most swag or thinks he has the most swag with the ladies- two part question
– A.) I’d give it to Willy Baker. He broke up with his girlfriend recently and has been cleaning up since. B.) Robbie Dorgan @Dorgystyle
17. It’s now spring time, no more practice or games. What can we find the Skyhawks doing in your downtime? You can find us still lifting as a team 3 nights a week and also a bunch of the guys are really dedicated their intramural floor hockey and softball teams during the spring. Competitive spirit never takes a break. Now that the season is over, you can find most of the Skyhawky lads at the local watering hole on Thursday nights and continuing to rip it up around campus Friday and Saturday night.
18. Is the team close, do you all live with eachother in a hockey house? Give us the 411 on the team dynamics. Between the 29 guys on the team, we have 4 houses. Three of them are on campus and one of them is off-campus about a mile down the road.
19. Many of our views are wondering.. is the Stonehill hockey team members single, dating or locked down? We got a pretty good mix of “Rude Bayyz” and husbands on the team. I think at one point or another we’ve all been jealous of the other half. A few of the guys have a bad habit of falling in love a few times per weekend but girls think that’s cute, right?
20. Can our viewers get a consensus of what the ideal type of date for the Stonehill Hockey player is?
Can’t speak for all my teammates so I’ll just tackle this one personally. Lights dimmed at the Foxboro Sports Center, “Endless Love” playing on the speakers, and the lucky lady skating hand in hand with number 31 (Think Happy Gilmore). Then we go to Beat-Da-Wrap in Waltham, MA for some delicious food and frozen yogurt.
You are quite the romantic
21. First three things (as a team ) you notice about the opposite sex? Personality, Soul, and thighs.
22. Who is going to be in the Cup finals? Minnesota Wild and the Boston Bruins
23. Prediction of who is going to hoist Lord Stanley? Charlie Coyle and the Minnesota Wild…might be a little bit biased. If not the Wild, then I think the Bruins got it this year.
I am totally with you there Chris!
24. During the season where is the teams favorite arena to play in? Playing up at Plymouth State in New Hampshire is always fun. They usually pack their barn with about 3,000 drunk kids who will say just about anything to rattle the guys on the ice…it’s pretty funny.
25. Anybody on the team have a secret talent, and what is it? Connor Fallon @cousintweeter9 claims he can play the Uekele but this can neither be confirmed nor denied.
26. Name the perfect NHL starting lineup
Jonathan Quick between the pipes
27. Was there a team motto or saying this season? #skyhawky
28. Best nickname on the team? ”Old man Graham” for Dan Graham @d_graham24
29. Best flow? Formerly Travis Army but now Steve Balsamo @s_balsamo
30. First teammate to jump into an on ice scrum? Billy Carey @bill90Carey13
I have seen this first hand, he is quite the brawler
31. Who is the most studious or scholar athlete on the team? Kevin Airoldi @kevairoldi6 3.7 gpa or something ridiculous like that.
32. What is the song you skate on to? The Pretender by The Foo Fighters
33. We have to ask, what does the Stonehill Skyhawk hockey team want to be remembered for? We want to be known as the guys who work our A*ses off to bring home the hardware but when the time is right to let loose and have some fun, you can find most of us dancing on a table somewhere.
34. Lastly, who is babely enough to be the next Sports Babe Of The Day? I want to nominate my buddy Chris Calnan who is currently a freshman on the BC hockey team as the next Sports Babe of the Day