Mike Zigomanis was selected 64th in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft by Buffalo Sabres, but was unsigned. He later re-entered in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, and was selected by the Carolina Hurricanes. Zigomanis was born in North York, but grew up in Scarborough, Ontario. He played four seasons of OHL hockey with the Kingston Frontenac’s, and represented Canada in the 2001 World Junior Hockey Championships. He has played for the Carolina Hurricanes, St. Louis Blues, Phoenix Coyotes, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs/ Marlies, and currently is playing for the Rochester Americans, the Buffalo Sabres affiliate team. Did I mention he also won a Stanley Cup alongside Sidney Crosby?
21 Questions with Mike Zigomanis:
1. How did you get into hockey? What inspired you to continue playing hockey as a career? At what point did you realize that you would be a professional hockey player?
My cousins played growing up, so I went to the rink with a lot. I loved the game, played it year round growing up. My second year playing junior in the OHL I thought I could have a future in the game.
2. What is your pre-game routine? What gets you pumped up?
I like to warm up on the bike, do some active exercises. Also run through some yoga flows.
3. Besides hockey, did you play any other sports growing up?
4. Where is your favorite place to play on the road? Why?
Montreal- love the city, great atmosphere in the arena.
5. What are your top 5 songs on your iPod?
Midnight city by M83
Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the people
Sunny (Mercury Edit II) by Marvin Gaye
Shooting Stars by Bag Raiders
Shotgun by Jr. Walker & The Allstars
7. If we looked in your fridge right now, what would be in there?
Hummus, Kombucha, kalamata olives, tempeh, almond milk, fruits, veges, liquid B12.
8. Name your top 3 pet peeves
Dishonesty, unhealthy lifestyle, impoliteness
9. Describe yourself in three words.
Honest, healthy, polite
10. Do you still have your “First NHL goal” puck?
Yes. Phoenix Coyotes.
Great! That was fun, lots of heckling but worth it.
12. What are some restaurants you would recommend? (Always see it on your twitter feed)
Fresh, Live, Feel Good Guru, Hogtown Vegan, Rawalicious
13. If you weren’t playing hockey, what would you be doing?
14. What is your perfect idea of a first date?
Dinner and bowling
15. Favorite Place you’ve travelled to?
16. Who’s your favorite golf player? And what is your favorite course to play?
Ian Poulter. TPC Sawgrass.
17. Most athletes love their cars…what kind of car do you drive now and what is your dream car?
Not really into cars. Jeep Cherokee
18. If you could give an up and coming hockey player any advice, what would it be?
Great, very honored.
20. Do you have a favorite quote/motto that you take to heart?
“Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything”.
21. What do you think of James Van Riemsdyk’s blue neon shorts?
Don’t know about them.