SBOTD Presents: Brendan Smith, Detroit Red Wings Defenceman
Sports Babe of the Day Presents: Brendan Smith, Detroit Red Wings, @bssmith7 on Twitter!
Prior to signing with the Redwings, Brendan spent three years playing for the University of Wisconsin, and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award in 2010.
Growing up with all three Smith brothers in Mimico, Ontario— I had a chance to catch up with Brendan for my first SBOTD entry!
16 Questions with Brendan Smith
1. What sport, other than hockey, would you have liked to play professionally?
I would have liked to play professional lacrosse with my older brother Rory Smith (Colorado mammoth)
2. At what age did you start playing hockey? Who had the biggest impact on your decision to go pro?
I started playing hockey at age 4. My father had the biggest impact on my decisions to go pro.
3. What do you think the biggest challenge will be of playing in a shortened season?
The biggest challenge would be to stay healthy because there are so many games in such a short amount of time. The main thing is to eat well and get a lot of rest to keep my body healthy.
4. What is your go-to pre-game meal?
Pasta and chicken
5. Who was your favorite NHL player growing up?
Bobby Orr and Brendan Shannahan
6. Where and how are you most likely to spend the off-season?
Working toward finishing my degree in Wisconsin as well as spending time at home in Toronto with my parents in MIMICO, Ontario
7. Where is your favorite place to play on the road? Why?
Chicago because the fans are unreal and I love the rivalry between the Wings and the Hawks
8. What is the most played track on your iPod?
Lately it’s been Thrift Shop by Mackelmore
9. What is your favorite line from your favorite movie?
“I’m sorry. I’m not sorry. Okay? I’m not gonna apologize, I’m a cocksman! – Wedding crashers
10. Who is your favorite player in the NLL? (besides your brother)
Dangerous Dan Dawson
11. Who were mom and dad cheering for when you faced off against brother Reilly Smith for the first time?
I’m going to say it was mutual for the most part but I do think they wanted Reilly to score. My grandfather was for sure cheering for Reilly a bit more.
12. Who would win in a fight, you or older brother Rory?
Rory would beat up Reilly and I at the same time.
13. What is the worst rookie initiation you’ve experienced with a team?
I ate a meal worm and swallowed a goldfish when I played Junior Lacrosse for the Mimico Mountaineers
14. If you had a sister, which teammate would you most likely to allow her to date?
15. If you had the first pick in an NHL fantasy draft, who would it be? Why?
16. Which of your teammates…
- has the best one-liners?
- should have his own reality show?
- has the best playoff beard?