SBOTD Presents: Martin St. Pierre, Rockford IceHogs, AHL
Sports Babe of the Day Presents: Martin St. Pierre, Rockford Ice Hogs, @MStPierre39 on Twitter
Growing up, playing hockey was just a way of life for this Ottawa native. Having won the Wayne Gretzky Trophy during Martin St. Pierre‘s time in the OHL, it is no surprise that he is in his 9th year of playing professional hockey. Originally undrafted, he has made quite a hockey career for himself, bouncing between the ECHL, Europe, AHL and the NHL. It is also no surprise that he has recently been named as captain of the Rockford IceHogs. This center has got a sweet set of hands and leadership skills on and off the ice. Talk about a total package.
And when St. Pierre isn’t on the ice, he’s probably watching some good movies and just relaxing to keep healthy. He also loves his friends and family and country music. He also looks pretty good in a cowboy hat — if I do say so myself. Did I mention that he also speaks French?! This baby blue-eyed beauty will surely make you swoon. Without further adieu, get to know Martin St. Pierre!
21 QUESTIONS WITH Martin St. Pierre:
1. How did you get into hockey? And what inspires you to continue playing?
Grew up in a small town outside Ottawa Canada and during the winter every kid plays hockey on frozen ponds for hours, so it’s hard not to get into hockey. Also, having a hockey rink 30 seconds from my house always helps! What inspires me to keep playing is my passion for it, to get better everyday and succeed, it is my profession but I love the sport, the lifestyle and the game!
2. Do you have a preplanned goal celebration, or do you just go with how you feel in the moment?
Haha umm no pre-planned celebration… unlike some guys who have a go-to move, I’m more of into the moment kind of guy!
3. Growing up, who inspired you to play?
My parents obviously pushed me to play, started skating at 3 and playing at 4 and they made so many sacrifices to give me the best opportunity to make it to the highest level possible.
4. What is a typical game day routine like in the life of MSP?
At arena at 8:30am
Stretch, warmup and on ice at 10am for pregame skate
Noon pregame meal
Naptime at 2-3:45pm
Departure for the arena at 4:15pm
Arrive at the arena at 4:30-4:40pm
Warm-up, video session, stretch and pre-game warm-up at 6:25pm
7pm game time!
5. What is the hardest thing about being a professional hockey player?
To stay focused with all the distractions even it’s off the ice with media stuff, unhappy fans, and haters. But then again never quit and stay focused on being the best you can be everyday even thru tough time and ups and down, mostly try to keep everything on an even keel! Not too high and not too low!
6.Where and how do you like to spend the off-season?
Love going back home to Ottawa, spend time with the family and friends, hit the cabin on the lake and also travel all over if there are events or concerts.
7. If we asked your teammates to describe you, what do you think they would say?
Easy to get along, funny, loves to play jokes, good teammate and a guy they can look up to and believe in!
8. What are 5 things you can’t live without?
Cell phone, toothbrush, water, credit card, Lululemon
9. What kind of music would we find if we scrolled through your iPod? Any favorites?
I love everything from famous DJs, pump up music, rap, alternative, hard rock but you’d find mostly country. My favorite artist is Luke Bryan
10. If you aren’t playing hockey, what are you doing?
During season I rest up as much as I can and try to eat and recover the best way I can and take care of my body! Movies and TV shows are key for that (haha). My favorite TV show is Suits!
11. If you could visit anywhere in the world at this very moment, where would you go and why?
I’d go to The Maldives; I heard it’s breathtaking over there and a great getaway!
12. Describe your idea of the perfect date.
Of course everybody likes the old fashion go out for dinner date all dressed up where the guy goes and picks up the girl blah blah blah…but I’m a little more adventurous and edgy…I’d rather do an activity, something fun where you can actually see some character traits that you won’t see sitting down at dinner, whether its going to a concert and do drinks after or go to a sporting event or even make her a home cooked meal and then head for a night on the town…
13. Any guilty pleasure(s) we should know about?
Love sweets, candies and ice cream! haha
14. What is currently in your refrigerator?
Greek yogurt, almond milk, green apples, water bottles, ketchup, left over chicken from last night!
15. What are some of your biggest pet peeves?
Impatient people, bad drivers, phony people or pretenders
16. If you weren’t playing hockey, what would your career be?
Law enforcement! Always wanted to be an undercover cop
17. What’s on your Christmas list this year?
Definitely go home and spend time with my family and as far as gifts…maybe few little things for my place back home
18. Tell us about your golf tournament.
This will be the 8th annual Martin St. Pierre Charity Golf Tournament. We raise money to go to the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) in Ottawa. We have lots of hockey players that play in it as well as the president of the hospital. It is just a fun way to give back to all the families that need help, and to support my friends that have kids that get treatment there.
19. What is your proudest achievement to date?
My 1st NHL game in Dallas. My parents flew down with my brother and there’s no better feeling where my dream is coming true. My parents dream after all these years of sacrifices and dedication with minor hockey also came true! My dad had a mustache before I was born and I never had seen him without one and when I finished my junior years we made a bet if I ever played a game in the NHL that he’d shave it off, well he did and I barely recognized him after my game haha
20. Who would YOU feature as the next Sports Babe of the Day?
A good friend of mine who played soccer for Team Canada in London at the Olympics…Kaylyn Kyle. (Oh Martin! We’re already ahead of you! Check out Kaylyn Kyle’s SBOTD profile here!)
21. And the question all the ladies were waiting for, are you single, dating, or locked down?
I’m single yes!
Yes, you heard right! Martin St. Pierre is single. With good looks and the ‘C’ on his jersey, it would be easy for MSP to have a big head, no? Well that is hardly the case. This babe’s down to earth, loves his family, and definitely talented. Marty, you can take us to a country concert any day.
Be sure to follow this babe on twitter! @MStPierre39
Latest posts by BDBWriter (see all)
- Race Day Etiquette and Traditions: What Are the Rules for Race Day in Australia? – March 5, 2014
- The Top 8 Funny Baseball Quotes – March 5, 2014
- Travel: Experience Golf on the Costa del Sol — The Top 4 Courses – March 4, 2014