SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Andrew Loewen, Goalie, SPHL Columbus Cottonmouths, @A_Loewen on Twitter
You know that video you’ve seen of a goalie in full gear doing the Wobble? Yea, I thought so. His name is Andrew Loewen. He plays for the Columbus Cottonmouths, nicknamed the Snakes. The 6’0 net minder has taken the internet and social media by storm. He’s not shy about it at all either. He’s just focused on his team, playoffs, and keeping his fans happy.
1. When did you first start dancing during the games?
I first started dancing two years ago. The first time I did it, it was different. You get focused on making sure you are a professional and focused on the game, so you want make sure you keep things focused on your team and the game. [The dancing] became part of my job, though.
2. When did you first strap on your skates and decide to strap on pads and have pucks shot at you full-time?
I started skating when I was really young with my dad, in Canada we have outdoor rinks everywhere. I started playing at age five. When I was nine, I started playing some goal, and at ten I started playing full time
3. What has your life been like in Georgia vs Winnipeg, where you grew up? Is there a strong hockey atmosphere in Georgia?
There’s some hate for the Jets down here, and a lot of support for the Snakes. The main difference is that you can golf year round.
4. What do you want to be remembered for, besides dancing?
My hockey game, being a talented goaltender, and someone who relates to the fans. Someone who is just all around successful.
5. Have your team mates noticed a difference since the video went viral?
The last two to three weeks have been crazy, with Shannon being here, so this video hasn’t impacted our team yet. They retweeted a few tweets, but it hasn’t overtaken too many of the guys. I want it that way. I don’t want it to sidetrack the boys.
6. Did you want to be on the Ellen show? I know your captain tweeted your video to her.
Doesn’t everyone? I’d be nervous. I just think it’s crazy how this has blown up. A few people seeing something can turn into this. It isn’t something you can prepare for, and I’m just taking it day by day and preparing for the playoffs.
7. Since you have become such a social media darling, how has that impacted your daily life, and how you use Twitter?
100% it has [impacted my daily life]. In the last 48 hours my life has gone upside-down with requests for interviews and video clips. Social media is great for that, it lets you get in touch with players like you never would have before.
8. Do you think you have moves like Jagr?
I’ll leave that for the public to decide. [reporter’s note: I think he does!]
9. Who have you modeled your game after?
I don’t know if I can say that I have [modeled it after anyone specifically]. I can appreciate Brian Elliott of the St. Louis Blues.
10. Who were your favorite players growing up then?
My favorite players were Jaormir Jagr, Mario Lemieux. Oh, and Teemu.
11. What’s your favorite viral video?
My own, I guess. I don’t spend time on YouTube, so I don’t have a favorite one.
12. Are you close with your fellow goalie, Shannnon Szbados? Has she let you try on her medal?
I’ve backed her up for two games. She left her medal at home, unfortunately. We have a real good working relationship though, but we haven’t had a chance to get into the finer details of goaltending. We’ve calmed each other down, reminded each other to have fun and that it’s just a game when things get rough.