SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Colton Yellow Horn, Forward for the Manchester Monarchs, @yellow1571
Hanging out on a ranch might not be typical for a hockey player, but it’s where Colton Yellow Horn calls home.
Yellow Horn had a remarkable season with the ECHL’s Ontario Reign, recording 36 goals, 22 assists and 10 game-winning goals in 48 games before being called up to the AHL.
What’s even crazier than his stats? The fact he finished as the second top scorer in the ECHL in the regular season without finishing the season in Ontario.
In his 28 games with the Manchester Monarchs, he recorded 18 points.
During the season, he is a player who is solely focused on the game and determined to succeed. In the offseason, he’s your average joe — if that average joe can brand and rope cattle that is.
His excitement on the ice keeps fans enthralled while watching him, but really, he’s a laid-back guy who is thankful for the opportunities he’s had.
Pull up a chair, get comfortable and maybe grab a glass of one of Colton’s favorite beverages, like chocolate milk, and enjoy our interview with Colton.
20 QUESTIONS WITH COLTON YELLOW HORN:
1. When did you know you wanted to pursue hockey?
I’m not exactly sure when I wanted to pursue hockey, but just always growing up I wanted to play. I have not lost that feeling of wanting to play all the time. I always look forward to the next time I get to play.
2. Who had the biggest impact of your professional career?
I would have to say Kris Versteeg has had the biggest impact on my pro career just because he has always been there to help me with any struggles that may come up.
I would have to say winning silver at the U18 world championships.
4. What makes hockey the best sport in the world, in your opinion?
It’s fast, intense, requires the most skill to play, there’s fighting and I believe it’s the hardest championship to win.
5. If your teammates had to describe you in three words, what words do you think they would choose?
Competitive, Determined and Easygoing
Most people don’t know I come from a ranch and my other passion is rodeo.
7. What are your top three pet peeves?
Hard butter, changing a song halfway through it and people who are always late.
8. If you didn’t play hockey, what would you be doing?
I would most likely have a ranch and rodeo most of my time.
9. What are the top three songs on your iPod?
“Reason�?-Nervo, “Walls�?-Tiesto and “Sure Be Cool If You Did�?- Blake Shelton
10. You’ve traveled all over, but where is it that you’d love to either go again or visit for the first time?
I would like to go back to Switzerland.
11. If you were a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, which one would you be and why?
Michelangelo, because he is always looking to have fun and doesn’t take everything too seriously.
I have an English bulldog named Mr. Bo Dangles.
13. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
“8 Seconds�? or “Tin Cup�?
14. Do you have a favorite motto or saying?
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it.
15. If we looked in your fridge right now, what would we find?
Water, chocolate milk, steak, bison, veggies and coconut water.
16. If you were stuck on a deserted island and you could only take three things with you, what would you take?
Maui Babe tanning oil, water and Mr. Bo Dangles
17. How do you want to be remembered?
18. We always have to ask this question? Single, dating or locked down?
19. What is your ideal of a perfect date?
I would have to say a day of horseback riding and a picnic out in the middle of the country.
20. Who would you recommend as our next Sports Babe of the Day?