Sports Babe of the Day Presents: Logan Couture, Center, San Jose Sharks, @logancouture
Drafted 9th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ontario native Logan Couture is currently nearing the end of his 5th regular season laying with the San Jose Sharks. With 20 goals and 28 assists on this season, the 6’1” Center continues to solidify his place as a leading scorer for his team. Since being drafted by San Jose, Couture also spent time developing his skills with the team’s AHL affiliate, the Worchester Sharks, and spent time playing in the Swiss National League during the 2013-2013 NHL lockout. During his rookie season in the NHL his outstanding performance earned him a Calder Memorial Trophy nomination, he was named NHL Rookie All-Star team captain that same season and played in his first NHL All-Star game the following season. If these accomplishments, along with his impressive point totals and consistent demonstration of leadership on the ice in these first few years of his career are any indication, Couture is well on his way towards having the type of life-long career that young players dream of. When he’s not on the ice, you can find Couture playing with his dogs, hanging out with buddies, relaxing by the pool, checking out Blue Jays games, or doing the types of things any other 25 year-old guy likes to do. While he may be hesitant to DJ in the locker room, Couture’s taste in music is top notch…So, if you’re looking for some rap or country recommendations, he’s your guy!
21 Questions with Logan Couture
1. How old were you when you started playing hockey? What got you started in the sport? I first skated when I was 3. Being Canadian, naturally my parents wanted me to be hockey. First time playing organized hockey I was 5.
2. Did you play any other sports growing up? I played baseball until I was 14. I was a pretty good ball player and it was actually very tough to give up the sport. But it was either hockey or baseball and I think I made the right choice.
3. When did you know you wanted to pursue a career as a professional hockey player? I never really thought about it until the Ottawa 67s drafted me at 16. I was just playing the game for fun until then. At that point I realized I could do it for a job.
4. Growing up, was there any player in particular that you looked up to? What was your favorite team growing up? I was a big Buffalo Sabres fan and loved Hasek.
5. What has been the most memorable moment in your hockey career so far? . My first NHL game in Philly, first NHL goal in Detroit, and scoring an overtime winner in the playoffs last year.
6. At this point in your life, what is the achievement you are most proud of, in your hockey career or in your life in general? Making it to the NHL. It’s been a long road and I’m super proud about it.
7. During the lockout last year you played with a team in the Swiss National League. How did your time there compare to what its like playing in San Jose? Much different. They treated me very well in Geneva and I enjoyed it, but I love San Jose.
8. When you’re not playing hockey, what are your favorite things to do in San Jose? I live in an awesome shopping area called Santana Row. I like to walk around or post up and enjoy the sun. A couple teammates live in the same complex as me so I spend a lot of time with them as well.
9. What is your favorite arena or city to play in when you’re on the road? I’m a huge fan of country music so I really enjoy Nashville. Calgary and Chicago are also near the top of my list.
10. A lot of pro athletes can be pretty superstitious about sticking to the same routine on game days. Do you have any superstitions or a routine that you follow before a game? I’d like to think I’m pretty easy going. I usually eat the same stuff and just play soccer before games. Nothing too crazy. Some guys are nuts though…
11. You’re up to bat as DJ in the locker room…what song would you play to get the boys pumped up? Dan Boyle is our resident DJ and he’s into more rock songs. I would be scared to put my stuff on…I’m more into rap or country, but I couldn’t just pick one.
12. What are your top 5 songs or artists you’re listening to right now? The Weeknd just released some new songs “Drunk in Love remix”, “Or Nah remix” and “In Vein”, and of course “Nothing Was The Same” by Drake.
13. If we were to look in your fridge right now, what would we find? At this moment nothing. It’s embarrassing. But we were just on the road for a week…A couple bottles of water and some condiments.
14. What are 5 things you can’t live without? My dogs, my phone, TV, music, hockey stick
15. Any guilty pleasures? Candy
16. What do you like to do to relax during the off-season? I golf almost every day…Watch the Blue Jays, play with my dogs, and spend time with friends and family. Also sit by my pool and hot tub daily. 17. So we have to ask…single, taken or locked down? What is the first thing you notice in a girl? Single. Eyes and smile.
18. In your opinion, what would be a great first date? I’m a massive homebody…Hang out and watch TV shows or movies. Or golf. Love athletic girls. Just low-key for me though…Stay out of the public.
19. If you weren’t playing hockey, what would you want to be doing for work? My parents were my biggest role models so I would follow in their footsteps…Teacher or firefighter.
20. What do you want to be remembered for? I want to be a Stanley Cup Champion. It’s been my dream since I started playing hockey and it’ll never change.
21. Who should be our next sports babe of the day? Jamie McGinn
Thanks for chatting Logan!