SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY Presents: NHL Columbus Blue Jacket Ice Girl, Annie DeChellis, @Life_SizeBarbie!
Looking at Annie DeChellis, you would think she is just like any other NHL
Ice Girl: tall, fit, & beautiful, but let me tell you, there is so much more to Annie than you would think.
At age six Annie was diagnosed with a brain tumor, but that didn’t stop her from pursuing her dreams. Let’s get into this Sports Star Spotlight interview with Annie DeChellis!
1. Your platform appears to be childhood cancer. You are a cancer survivor. Can you explain about more your personal experience with cancer?
I went to bed sick one night and woke up with a seizure the next morning which prompted some tests that found the tumor. Fortunately, it was benign and I was able to have it removed entirely.
2. How did you get started with the Pepsi Power Patrol, and how long have you been part of it?
My best friend in college was an ice girl for the Blue Jackets. She encouraged me to audition for the Pepsi Power Patrol (I’m not the best skater), and three seasons later it still proves to be the most amazing experience.
3. What’s been your most memorable event as a part of the Pepsi Power Patrol?
My most memorable moments were from this year when the CBJ made the playoffs and had their first franchise playoff wins, and on the “Hockey
Fights Cancer” game nights.
4. You’re also a model, right? How did you get started with that?
I started modeling about two years ago after a friend acquainted me with some photographers and things took off! I auditioned for America’s Next Top Model (Hey, Tyra!) and just fell short of flying out to LA for the show. I freelance model now, but I plan on seeking agency representation.
5. You’re a nurse or nursing student? How are you able to keep all of it balanced? It all seems like so much.
My “big-girl” job is being a nurse in Neonatal Intensive Care in Columbus. I love caring for some of the tiniest, most precious lives and watching them grow and become strong, healthy infants. I work night shift, so I don’t sleep. Haha.
6. When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was younger, I either wanted to be a princess (I still do – Hit me up Prince Harry!) or an Olympic swimmer. I had to give up swimming for nursing school, but I don’t regret that decision.
7. What’s a typical day for you during the season?
During the season, I’m thankful that both my nursing job and CBJ job are flexible so I can coordinate schedules and have the best of both worlds. 🙂
8. Whats a typical day for you in the offseason?
Now that I’m in offseason I can catch up on sleep (a little), cooking, more modeling and marathon training
in between my schedule at the hospital.
9. What has been your biggest success to date?
I would say graduating from nursing school and working in a field I love.
10. What is something that you still want to accomplish?
I would like to go back to graduate school, advance my modeling career and I’m working toward completing a marathon in the fall!
11. What is a quote, verse or motto that has been inspiring to you?
“She is clothed with strength and dignity. She laughs without fear of the future” Proverbs 31:25
12. Who is a role model to you?
My parents are the hardest workers I know. They have supported me countless times and I can only hope to be even half the people they are.
13. If you could suggest one of your CBJ teammates to be featured, who would it be?
They’re all amazing ladies, it’s hard to choose! Michelle was one of the new girls this season, and she’s been a die-hard CBJ fan since day one. It was awesome to see her enthusiasm and beauty shine through as she was able to join the Pepsi Power Patrol this year.
14.If you could pick any athlete to be featured, male or female, any sport, who would it be?
Being a former swimmer, I’d have to say Michael Phelps. I’ve been following him since his first Olympics
and it’s amazing to watch him race.
Now, a set of fun “This or That” questions! 🙂
Always a big debate among people, crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
Coke or Pepsi?
Is wine an option?
Beach or snow?
Heels or flats?
“The higher the heels, the closer to God”
Hockey or football?
Hockey, but there’s a special place in my heart for Ohio State football.
Big thank you to the lovely Annie DeChellis for taking time to interview with me! Make sure you follow her on Twitter @Life_sizebarbie!