SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Holly Sonders Co-Host Morning Drive & School of Golf On Golf Channel
Sports Babe of the Day Presents: Holly Sonders Co-Host Morning Drive and School of Golf on Golf Channel, @HollySondersGC
You might recognize today’s Sports Babe of The Day from one of the network Golf Channel programs she is on including: “Morning Drive,” “Playing Lessons,” and “School of Golf”. If that is not where you can place her from, she is also currently gracing this months cover of ”Golf Digest,” she is the one and only Holly Sonders!
Sonders has fast become one of the most recognized golf personalities out there, and it’s not just because she happens to be strikingly gorgeous, it’s because she can actually play the sport. This former Lady Spartan, has proven that fact by helping her team win the Big Ten Golf Championship in 2007 and have you seen this golfer play in a Pro-Am lately? You want to be paired with Sonders because she can play golf just as well as the boys demonstrating it every time.
She was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule to answer 20 questions with me, so let’s get to what you all have been waiting for!
20 QUESTIONS WITH HOLLY SONDERS
1. How did you get your start playing golf? Did you have any interests in any other sports at a young age?
My mom got me into golf at age six, she has been club champion for 22 years at our course in Ohio. I also played basketball and ran track all the way up through my high school graduation.
I was a very solid ball striker (during junior golf and college at Michigan State). I played blade irons and also hit it long for a girl off the tee…like 240-250 yards.
Putting was my weakness.
3. Going back to when you played at Michigan State, what was your proudest achievement as a Lady Spartan?
Winning the 2007 Big Ten Championship as a team…The same day our men’s team also won the title too.
4. You joined the Golf Channel in January of 2011, who has been your favorite person to work with and why?
I loved working with my better half Erik Kuselias (who moved up to NBC Sports and NBC Sports Radio in April 2012). Many people cannot work with their partner/spouse but we had fun every day, we are best friends.
I’ve had this idea since i started playing… a round of golf needs to be 12 holes. Most people do not have five hours to spend away from their families on the weekends or after work or the extra income to spend on expensive greens fees.
6. How does it feel to be an avatar in the World Golf Tour game?
Pretty cool. Mine was the first one to come out so all of my co-hosts were able to poke fun at me (her). I think she’s a little pale, (could use a tan haha) but overall it’s cool.
7. Who has been the most memorable person to play golf with when it comes to playing in a Pro-Am and why?
John Daly (because he’s John Daly) or Rickie Fowler because he got his first win on the PGA Tour the week we played together at Wells
8. What is the best piece of advice you would give a new golfer who was starting to play the game?
Spend more time chipping and putting than you do on the driving range.
9. Let’s talk about your fashion on the golf course, how would you describe it?
I signed a deal with Cobra/Puma at the beginning of this year, couldn’t be more pleased. Bright colors and sharp cuts tailored to my figure and size…I LOVE the shoes. I hope to design my own golf/lifestyle shoes and clothing for Puma someday.
10. How would your Co-Hosts of Morning Drive, describe you in three words?
Intelligent, Supportive and Witty.
11. Have you ever been star struck by a golfer that you have met? If not, who would it be?
Never star struck, just humbled and fortunate to meet some of the legends like Nicklaus, Palmer, and Player. Annie lives down the street from Golf Channel and still stops by often.
12. Let’s talk workouts, what do you do to stay in shape?
No free weights…no machines anymore.
I put on 15 lbs of muscle my first year at MSU and picked up 30 yards off the tee. I like to be leaner nowadays, not so bulky. Lots of body- weight exercise like planks, lunges, squats. 500 abs 3-4 times a week, usually standing and/or twisting to get my oblique’s.
I live in FL where there’s always a chance I might be in a bikini so muffin- top is unacceptable! :) Lean and lengthened is what I strive for.
I feel fortunate, I welcome the challenge of helping to grow this game and bringing more eyes to the sport…especially to the LPGA.
14. Who is the sports broadcaster that you would like to mold your career after?
Too many to choose one…I work with the faces I grew up watching on Golf Channel. It’s surreal sometimes still for me that I’m there.
15. A lot of your fans are excited to see you gracing the cover of Golf Digest, what was the best part of that experience?
16. If we were to look at your top three songs played on your iPod, what would they be?
Some techno/club tracks. Like David Guetta, etc.
17. If we raided your fridge right now, what would we find?
Honestly…not much.I am a terrible cook. And when I stock up on groceries, I usually eat them even when I’m not hungry. Like half box of cereal when I’m on the phone and don’t even realize it!
Locked down with a great guy.
19. What is your idea of the perfect date?’
In Miami, drinks, food, lots of laughs.
20. Who would you feature as the next Sports Babe of the Day?
My colleagues Kelly Tilghman, Lauren Thompson, Win McMurray, or Lara Baldesarra.
They’re all beautiful and cool…I mean that.
There you have it 20 questions with the talented and beautiful Holly Sonders! Thank you Holly Sonders for the interview, and go follow this golfer on Twitter over at @HollySondersGC!
Interview by Tia Preece, you can find me on Twitter over @TiaPreece!
(Photo Credit: Screen Shot Youtube and @HollySondersGC on Twitter)
Latest posts by Tia Preece (see all)
- SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Travis Turnbull, Forward for the ERC Ingolstadt, Deutsche Eishockey Liga League, Germany – November 25, 2013
- SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Berry Henson, Professional Golfer, Asian Tour Player – November 20, 2013
- SPORTS BABE OF THE DAY: Charlie Douglass, Ladies European Tour Golf Player – July 17, 2013