Today’s Sports Babe Of The Day is none other than Travis Turnbull from Saint Louis, Missouri. Prior to turning professional, Turnbull played four years of college hockey at the University of Michigan with the Michigan Wolverines men’s ice hockey team. Turnbull, 27-year-old forward, has also spent a vast amount of time playing in the AHL and even hitting the ice with the Buffalo Sabres in the National Hockey League. The 6-foot, 193 pound forward has taken his talents across to Europe for the last two seasons, making a name for himself currently playing with the ERC Ingolstadt in the Deutsche Eishokey Liga.
Turnbull had so many great answers during this interview, we might just have to turn this into two parts. Now, let’s not keep anyone waiting any longer and get this interview underway!
20 QUESTIONS WITH TRAVIS TURNBULL
1. How did you get into playing hockey and what has inspired you to keep playing?
My father Perry and cousin Randy both played in the NHL. My father played in the NHL for 10 years and Europe for three. I grew up in the rink and since I can remember it’s all I have ever wanted to do.
2. If you weren’t playing hockey for a living, what would you be doing?
I would have to go with a professional golfer. I have a real passion for golf and play a lot in the summer with my hockey buddies, who have the summer off too.
3. What is the biggest difference between playing over in Europe versus the States?
The ice is bigger in Europe which leaves a little more space to be fancy with the puck. There is also a lot less fighting. You get 14 minutes for fighting and after 3 fights you get suspended. 14 minutes is almost an entire period, so you’re going to have to really piss me off to get me to fight over here!
4. What do you consider your biggest strength on the ice?
My biggest strength would be my skating ability. I was near the top in rankings in every NHL training camp I attended.
5. Since we know pranks tend to happen in and around the locker room, what is one of the biggest pranks you’ve pulled on a teammate?
I’m not big into pulling pranks. I like to joke around a lot, but I really don’t pull many pranks.
6. What is the hardest thing about being a professional athlete?
Without a doubt it’s being consistent. There is always someone trying to take your job, that’s just the nature of the game. You have to go into every game hungry no matter how injured, sick or tired you are. You have to prove yourself everyday!
7. In three words, how would your current teammates describe you?
A Jokester, a great teammate and hardworking.
8. Do you get nervous before games and what is your pre-game ritual?
I get more excited than nervous. I like to compete. My pregame ritual is to listen to Country Music while taping my sticks and having a chew haha. I also do the exact same stretches before every game.
9. If you were stranded on a deserted island who would you want to be there with?
Thats a tough question how many people can I have? I would want to be there with my fianće Kasey and my puppy Jax, it’d be tough out there without those cuties!
10. What advice would you give to any new hockey player wanting to play the sport professionally?
It’s not just a regular job, it becomes your life. It’s gonna test you mentally and physically everyday. If you are up for that it’s a great life!
11. If we looked on your Ipod right now, what are some of the top songs?
Beachin’- Jake Owen, Mud on the Tires- Brad Paisley and Out Last Night- Kenny Chesney are currently the top 3. I don’t even like country music…… I effin love it ha
12. What player would you go with Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe and why?
Got to go with #9 Gordie Howe. One of the reason’s I wore #9 growing up. The guy could do it all score,fight, hit, you name it!
13. What is one of your guilty pleasures we should know about?
I love to fish, I’m a big fan of the outdoors. When I was playing in the US I’d spend my days off fly fishing. Really helps clear the mind.
14. How do you stay in shape and what is your favorite type of workout?
I lift weights, of course, but I also do a lot of boxing. I’ve noticed a big difference in my cardio since I started boxing, not to mention the fighting aspect haha.
15. What is your life motto on and off the ice?
Have fun. Life is to short not to enjoy what you are doing everyday.
18. Here we always like to ask for our readers, are you single, dating, or locked down?
I am engaged and getting married to my fiancé Kasey this summer in Jamaica.
19. What is your idea of a perfect date?
My perfect date would be dinner and drinks on the water somewhere off the beaten path.
20. Who would YOU feature as the next Sports Babe Of The Day?
Want to interview me again? haha
By the way did we mention the Turnbull isn’t afraid to throw a few punches or two? Check out this YouTube video of Turnbull throwing it down on the ice.
Thank you Travis for this epic interview